There are a lot of chainsaws out there – but which are the best? In this guide, we’ll review our top 11 favorite chainsaw brands. Each chainsaw will be reviewed based on durability, efficiency, affordability, and the use of extra features. While each product has its pros and cons, we highly recommend that you stick with this list in order to narrow down your search as you decide upon the perfect chainsaw for your needs.
The Husqvarna brand of chainsaw is one of the most favored chainsaw brands amongst professionals and homeowners alike. The brand group offers both electric and gas saws, which are great for a variety of different needs. There are a few features of Husqvarna chainsaws which makes them unique and efficient:
- Husqvarna saws are built to meet even the toughest wood-cutting demands.
- It only takes one or two revs to get these chainsaws to fly into action. This is easier than other brands, where it may take three pulls or more to successfully turn on the motor.
- The starter handle is larger than most brands, which makes it easier for a gloved hand to fit through.
- It has good vibration isolation technology, making it so that the handles do not vibrate as much as the rest of the machine. This makes things easier for your hands!
The benefits of this top-tier brand far outweigh the cons. However, there are a couple drawbacks that you should be aware of in case you want to seek more information about the Husqvarna line of chainsaws:
- The saw does not run quite as fast as some of the other top brands, such as Stihl and Poulan.
- Most Husqvarna chainsaws require a screwdriver to remove the air filter’s cover for cleaning. Other brands do not have this roadblock.
Overall, this is a reliable and functional brand with a wide array of motor types available for any large or small project.
Another reliable brand, Worx is good mostly for electric chainsaws. They are efficient, quiet, and sized decently for homeowners. This practical brand is meant for the average Joe, adding a lot of essential features that homeowners would be lost without:
- Worx brand chainsaws have little to no fumes or exhaust, making it easier to breathe as you work.
- The motors run very quietly, so you can work in your hard without annoying the neighbors.
- These chainsaws are lightweight, making it easy to carry for a longer amount of time.
- Worx is a very affordable brand of chainsaw for light to medium-range yardwork.
The advantages to electric chainsaws, especially with the line under Worx, are many. It can provide comfort and safety without sacrificing efficiency and quality. There are just a few drawbacks that we want to mention:
- You may need an extension cord for the corded motors, making it more difficult to reach longer distances while carrying your saw.
- There is slightly less power in Worx chainsaws than with other brands’ gas-powered chainsaws.
- Worx chainsaws typically cannot cut large trees.
If you can see past the limitations of a smaller electric chainsaw, you’ve got a great brand in your hands to get those everyday tasks done.
Possibly the most famous chainsaw brand in the world, Stihl really knows how to pack some power. Its number one best-selling saw, the Farm Boss, is made almost entirely from scratch by the manufacturer itself. It is crafted to be a powerful gas-powered chainsaw that can get almost any kind of job done. When it comes to chainsaws, Stihl is like the Cadillac of saws. Check out some of its best features:
- Stihl makes their own bars, engines, and chains for their saws, meaning no parts were made or assembled by third party factories.
- Each part is engineered by professionals. The chain brake, gas caps, retainer straps, and more are unique features that are designed in such a way that you’ll never find them on another brand.
- Despite all of the lavish features, Stihl chainsaws are relatively affordable. They are not the most expensive on the market, adding great cost for the great quality that’s returned.
We’ll be honest: it was difficult for us to find any drawbacks associated with Stihl gas-powered chainsaws. However, if you’re looking for a small project, you may find that this isn’t what you need. Consider why Stihl may not be the best brand for you:
- These chainsaws are loud and emit fumes that could make it difficult to breathe.
- Stihl chainsaws are not good for lightweight projects, such as trimming or pruning.
All in all, the Stihl is one of our favorite and most reliable brands.
A foreign brand, Makita offers flexibility on all counts, in terms of function and affordability. It can be a good midrange brand for those who are looking for something on the cheaper end that can still get the job done. Here are a few of the things we like about Makita:
- If you are familiar with the Dolmar brand, Makita offers almost the same features and makes.
- You can decide on a gas or electric-powered motor with a variety of blade lengths.
- It is easy to handle and control, making it great for beginners.
Many users have reported a few drawbacks with this brand, however. We’ve gathered a list of some of the common inconveniences that can be faced with this type of foreign brand:
- There may not be any local service centers, so it’s difficult to repair.
- Many of the Makita chainsaws require extension cords and a place to store the long wired cords that come with the device.
- There are only two sizes of chainsaw available, typically.
Makita is a great cheaper option for buying or for renting if you’re just starting out.
- Black and Decker
Black and Decker is known for making a wide variety of household products and power tools. So, what makes a Black and Decker chainsaw special? This brand offers a wide range of affordable corded and battery-powered chainsaw, making them accessible for the average everyday homeowner. While it doesn’t have a huge range of features, it always delivers on the promises made by the manufacturer. Here are some of our biggest pros:
- Black and Decker chainsaws are some of the cheapest, with some selling for well under $100.
- It easily starts without any engine troubles. The pull cord will react immediately to your touch.
- There is a trigger mechanism that, upon releasing the trigger, it stops the chain right away. This is a great failsafe for beginners.
- It can be used for long periods of time at low vibration without causing any discomfort or pain.
All-in-all, Black and Decker is a great and reliable brand. There are still a few drawbacks which you may want to be aware of:
- This brand does not carry the most power. If you’re looking for midrange to heavy-duty work, seek another brand.
- Vibrations can get worse the longer you use the chainsaw.
This is one of our top-recommended brands for beginners who don’t have much experience with chainsaws.
Another big name in the chainsaw world, Echo is a reliable and reasonable brand that most professionals prefer over anything else. Made in Japan, this chainsaw delivers a powerful cut with precision and comfort. There are many things we love about this brand, and we’ve gathered our favorite things here:
- It has some of the best cutting precision techniques across any brand in the industry.
- It is the industry standard for chainsaws on a heavy-duty and professional level.
- They are the best for felling trees of any size.
- They can start upon a slow pull of the cord; this brand delivers incredible response times.
It is truly difficult to pinpoint any disadvantages with this brand. However, we recognize that Echo may not be for everyone. Here are a few reasons why:
- Echo offers heavy-duty capabilities, making it more difficult to use in a residential yard setting.
- These chainsaws tend to be loud, due to their hefty scale.
- Since these are some of the top-quality chainsaws, they are far less affordable than the others on our list.
If you’re looking for something professional that gets the job done right, Echo is the top of the top. There’s almost nothing that can match this beast.
Another familiar face in the crowd, Dewalt manufactures chainsaws that are professional quality. Even if you need something casual for an everyday trim, Dewalt delivers on efficiency and affordability. There are many reasons why we prefer this brand for a variety of different tasks:
- Dewalt corded and cordless chainsaws provide no fumes or difficult movements.
- These chainsaws are equipped with custom technology that helps you cut anything big or small.
- The low kick back bar makes construction and woodcutting easy, safe, and responsive.
- Some chainsaws are equipped with a no-pull start.
While Dewalt is often a packaged deal with a myriad of uses for pros and average Joes alike, there are a few drawbacks that might make this brand a no-go for your project:
- Dewalt’s chainsaws come with a safety switch which you must press before pulling the trigger. This can be difficult for users to get used to.
- Most Dewalt chainsaws are battery-powered, which can limit its power or use if you’re looking for heavy-duty projects.
Overall, Dewalt is a reliable and affordable brand that offers many solutions that beginners and professionals alike can enjoy. There is a wide range of voltage and power options to suit almost any need.
Oregon chainsaws are a well-known name in the industry. While they are no stranger to construction sites, that doesn’t necessarily make them the best. Our review will show why Oregon chainsaws make it on our list. Check out a few of our favorite things:
- Oregon chains are some of the softest in the industry.
- These chainsaws are often very affordable, more affordable than some of their Stihl and Echo competitors.
- They are available at most retail stores that sell power tools and yard equipment, making it accessible to the average homeowner.
The flexibility and affordability of these chainsaws can come with a sacrifice, however. There are a few reasons why Oregon doesn’t always top its competitors:
- The chains may need to be replaced often. They will start to dull early. Oregon bars and chains are used often, but aren’t always the best.
- Their cheapness and availability to consumers get them a pass at construction sites, with professionals preferring tools with more power and longevity.
- These chainsaws are great for small jobs, but can’t always cut down big trees or logs.
If you’re looking for something to start with for a small job, Oregon may be right for you. Despite its drawbacks, it still easily makes our list of the top 11 chainsaw brands to look out for.
Remington chainsaws are known for being cheap, but that doesn’t always make it a bad thing. This brand made it on our list due to its reliability and functionality. There are many reasons why we recommend this one to casual users:
- The brand makes powerful gas chainsaws, which make for stronger and more mobile jobs.
- Many parts are made of a die-cast material, offering sturdiness and a steady grip for easy handling ability.
- Many of the chainsaws are equipped with a feature that reduces the amount of drag on the pull cord, giving you a faster response time.
- These chainsaws are highly affordable!
There are a few drawbacks to a Remington brand. If you need anything lightweight, this may not be the option for you. Consider some of the cons:
- Remington gas chainsaws tend to emit a lot of fumes.
- The response time on the pull cord is slower than some of the more expensive brands.
- You won’t be able to operate Remington chainsaws without anti-vibration gloves.
As long as you can keep the parts properly adjusted and understand the limitations of a cheaper chainsaw, the Remington will offer great longevity and power for some of your larger cutting needs.
Greenworks offers some of the only cordless chainsaws in existence that are recommended on the professional and industrial level. This company produces great quality saws at a great price. There are many things we love about this lovable brand:
- Their unique chainsaws are great for elevated platform work, or work that requires the chainsaw to be lifted into the air.
- The chainsaws often have a pushbutton start, making it much more responsive than a pull-cord system.
- The cordless saws presented by Greenworks make mobile cutting much easier, keeping you in the field for longer.
- Many homeowners can benefit from these powerful tools as well, with easy cutting capacity on any type of tree.
There are a few drawbacks to the Greenworks brand that can make it unfit for some smaller jobs. We understand that this brand may not be for everyone:
- Greenworks tends to offer heavy-duty work despite being an electric chainsaw, making it a difficult choice for smaller pruning work.
- Greenworks chainsaws are not as affordable as some of the other brands.
- There are only battery-powered chainsaws available.
Overall, this is one of the highest-recommended brands for both homeowners and professionals alike, making it great for a wide variety of jobs.
Another foreign brand, Tanaka is good for smaller projects. These saws are often considered as great picks for beginners or for those who are just starting out in the chainsaw industry. They can be comparable to Echo saws in many ways, with several handy features:
- The well-built saws are good for small or midrange projects.
- They are extremely affordable, with some types ranging at $150 or less.
- It is easy to acquire the saws directly from the distributor, saving on any unnecessary costs or contracts.
- The saws come with a handle that can help teach homeowners how to get a good grip.
With midrange action and functionality, there are a few ways the Tanaka may not be a good choice:
- These chainsaws do not provide a ton of power, making it impossible to perform medium to heavy jobs with.
- Tanaka is really only good for pruning, trimming, and small wood cutting jobs.
- Most of the parts are made in China, making it a bad investment for some.
Overall, Tanaka offers a good “starter” chainsaw with easy-to-use features and decent power that easily places it on our top 11 list.
These top 11 chainsaws offer a range of power, affordability, and cutting potential. Whether you’re a professional in need of a saw to do industrial-sized work, or you’re just looking for something to help you cut firewood and trim branches, there’s a brand out there that will suit you the best.